Last year the kids were playing with the dog in the backyard where I was experimenting with Tarp Shelter setups. During the excitement, Bruno (the dog) ran over the Tarp causing irreparable damage, but at least I was able to save 40% of the tarp hoping one day I can use it somehow.
That one day was 4 days ago, I bought and collected a sewing machine (2nd hand) for $50NZ. I decided to make a small front panel for a 3x3m DD A-Frame Tarp shelter.
Here is where the fun begins
No instructional DVD in the box!
Calling out to no one in particular ... "anyone knows how to use a sewing machine"
"nah ... wait ... did you buy a sewing machine ? ... why ?"
Ignoring the unintelligent people in this household, I did the google thing for this model. Came through once again, disaster averted. Bobbin, foot thingy, thread, fabric ... OK I have all the Buzz words down .... apprenticeship over.
Right, next step I need some thread. Jump in the car shoot down to the general store and bought "some thread ?". "Are there different types of thread ?" I guess it doesn't matter, as long as it is black to blend in with the tarp.
There is a diagram on top of the machine showing how to thread the "thread" onto the bobbin. Cool, easy as! Pressing down on that pedal felt like I was in control of a sports car. Job done.
Now to do the top thread, pull thread around here, down here then back up behind this arm thingy before going down here to hook behind this bit and push in the needle from the front.
.......... 20mins later WTF !!
There has to be a trick to get that thread through that tiny hole. I cut it, I licked it, I burnt it with a lighter, squashed it .... swore at it. Back to google!
OK I need a thread puller, back to the shop. I bought a small sewing kit with stuff I might need because returning to this shop is not a good look.
It took a few days to practice before I was getting a nice-looking sewing line. Next step, set up Tarp in Modified Holden configuration. Measure cut and finally sew things together and I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome.
I was too excited to take any photos during this process until after I added the front panel to the shelter as shown below.
But after the next overnight camp, I'll produce photos showing more details of the panel.
Photos were taken with Samsung Galaxy A10 Phone.
- with every post comes experience, as we all strive to do better.
- curate/up vote, let's encourage/reward and inspire each other.
- as always, thank you for viewing my post.