Shed Roof Framing - Sunday

in GEMSlast month

Ouch, I'm sore. Yesterday I managed a good bit of progress on the shed roof. I ended up spending the bulk of the day on it but am pretty happy with how it is coming together. First was a bit of picking which got me about 30 squash. There is plenty more that needs to be picked but priorities...

IMG_20200823_093843.jpg

First thing I made was the center beam. This is a pair of 2x6s with 2x4s in the middle. I had to do this since the front and read wall needed bracing so the front wall won't flex out or lose shape. Also it needed to have a gap in the middle so the rafter could sit between the 2x6s. It is fixed solid to either wall and added a nice bit of solidity to the structure.

IMG_20200823_115941.jpg
IMG_20200823_115947.jpg
IMG_20200823_115952.jpg

It took me nearly an hour to figure out the bird's mouth cuts. I used a scrap piece of wood to cut tests and see if they fit. I finally got the right cuts and used one board as my template for the rest.

IMG_20200823_124432.jpg

I got most of the rafters cut and set in place. The end 2 rafters were the sticking points that I needed to figure out.

IMG_20200823_134610.jpg

I took a bit of a break for lunch then got back at the shed. I worked my way through the rafters and fixed them on either end using a couple types of brackets.

IMG_20200823_160141.jpg

The two types are visible and I had to mix them since I didn't have enough of one type to finish them. No big deal since I have stacks of other brackets. The end boards were a bit tricky. I had to take a rafter and slide it up to the end frame and mark the over lap. Then I used the skill saw to rip the board down to size. When I set them on the ends again the tops of the boards sit level with the rest of the rafters.

IMG_20200823_160149.jpg

While I worked on the shed @stryeyz worked on processing the fruit from the freezer. R helped with the elderberries for a while and picking them from the stems. He got bored rather quickly but that is to be expected from a 3 year old.

IMG_20200823_171322.jpg

Starting to look like a real building now.

IMG_20200823_174635.jpg
IMG_20200823_174648.jpg

Looking at the rafters I am pretty sure I will be okay for snow load as there is only one rafter in the middle of the windows with the two to the outer sides. I have more than enough room inside with the windows installed that I may just have boards that we install in the fall that will brace the center of the windows as a assurance that it will be strong enough through Winter.

IMG_20200823_174703.jpg

As dinner was cooking I got the blocking cut and installed between the rafters. Without them the structure was far less stable. Once they all got installed the entire roof locked up nice and tight. The next ones will be 2x4 blocking for the walls. I went around and measured each gap and noted it for today.

IMG_20200823_185717.jpg

This is the center rafter and how it sits in the beam. I am really happy with it. I kinda guessed at the block spacing in the beam. The block closest to the end was set 2 feet back. Once I got the rafter in place I found that the block was as close as it could be. There is only a half inch gap between the rafter and the block. Accidentally I got it perfect.

IMG_20200823_185742.jpg

I can unequivocally say that math is important and one of the basics of learning that everyone needs. I have used algebra, geometry, and trigonometry while building this shed and none of them did I do great at in schooling. Most of my learning has been through work experiences and have given me a tangible use for the knowledge.

Today I have garden work needs done since I have been been neglecting it for the construction. I am to a point now with the shed though that if I can just get the roof on it then the rest will be able to wait a bit. I just want it so if it happens to decide to rain the inside will be protected.

I have to get a bale of hay for the animals today and get the trailer tires off so I can get new ones put on.

For more information about our farm:
Fleming Family Farm
FLEMING FAMILY FARM, LLC
Sustainable & Organic Methods | Heirloom Produce
All images are original works of Fleming Family Farm unless otherwise notated and credited.

If you find this post useful or entertaining, your support is greatly appreciated by upvoting, following, and sharing!


FFF Runic.png



Sort:  

Looks perfect...quite a number of wood logs used...isnt there better option than logs?

Living in the Pacific Northwest we have a healthy supply of lumber. Lots of it comes from Northern Idaho. There are a bunch of other materials that can be used but this is what I am used to and can build with fairly quickly. I would love to do a rammed earth or straw bale building but those take a lot longer to build alone.

Ohh I see....great to see when it get completed...

Congratulations @flemingfarm! You have completed the following achievement on the Hive blockchain and have been rewarded with new badge(s) :

You have been a buzzy bee and published a post every day of the week

You can view your badges on your board And compare to others on the Ranking
If you no longer want to receive notifications, reply to this comment with the word STOP

To support your work, I also upvoted your post!

Do not miss the last post from @hivebuzz:

HiveBuzz supports the Austrian Community Meetup

This is amazing! And here I am half dying trying to rebuild a coop on my own lol

You can do it! It's just one step after another and it doesn't have to be done instantly. I'm sure your girls will be happy with what you build them.

Thanks for cheering me on🥰

Excellent progress!