Repairing wind chimes
My helper friend was here on Tuesday. The plan was to repair the edges of the gardens. The soil was too wet from all the rain to work in the Big garden. But before we went out, he fed all the seedlings, inside and out. I sat down and repaired the collection of broken wind chimes while he did that.
Last summer, they’d moved the azalea and dug back 3’ along the foundation in the Old North garden for construction. I’d moved all the plants to the Big garden. Now it was time to put the edging back, before the grass invaded.
We started on the north side of the house because there was still some sun there. We tackled the Old North garden first.
We ran the edging down and then along the back steps. There’s lily of the valley around the cement block, so I ran edging down between it and the rest of the garden to contain it.
Bloodroot buds in the Old North garden
Dutchman’s breeches in the North Corner garden
The North Corner garden hadn’t been touched so we just filled in along the edging.
Last summer when the water line broke, they ended up digging up the New North garden to replace the line.
We reset almost all of the edging along the New North garden. By then I was pretty frozen as the sun had moved away.
Last summer they tore up the west end of the South Herb garden building the septic system. So we moved there into the sun to work next.
The grass had really grown into this garden so it took a while to get this half of it done. My helper had to leave, so we left it at that.
On the west side of the house, the West Herb garden took a beating also. I had hoped to get this repaired, but it will have to wait.
Last summer it was right before Labor Day and I was prepping the butcher shop for Freezer Camp. The excavators were asked to set the sono tubes and make the walkways. But I was not consulted, didn’t know it was happening, and when I came back from the barn, I found destroyed gardens! The lower left 2 flagged posts are in the middle of my 1st Fence garden. I lost all the plants in that area.
The wrecked 1st Fence garden
What I didn’t realize was that they not only wrecked the garden, they excavated it and filled it with gravel 18” down! I discovered this Tuesday afternoon when I went out to prep it for work on Wednesday. So I set about removing the gravel from this garden, 7 – 8 totes full of it. We put it on the walkway where it was needed.
Five wheelbarrow loads of loam from my stock pile filled the hole.
It will never be the same size as it was, but at least flowers can grow in what’s left. I won’t be putting the edging down for a while, as on Wednesday it will have dried enough to work in the Big garden and my intern is here. So that’s where the most important work needs to be done right now.
I also dumped a load of loam in the hole left from repairing the pipe to the septic.
As I said my intern will be here on Wednesday and we will be in the Big garden. I will try to get at least 1 more fence line section cleaned out. I might be able to finish it. She will work in the main garden, cleaning out the weeds in what will be the onion area.